Friday, December 18, 2009

How do I remove spilled vegetable oil from my carpet on the cheap?

I moved. A bottle of canola oil opened up, half of the bottle leaked everywhere, and soaked a large chunk of carpet. I've sopped up what I could with paper towels, and used a little watered down dish soap to try to clean the area, but it's still greasy. Besides renting a shampoo machine, are there any clever household remedies?How do I remove spilled vegetable oil from my carpet on the cheap?
White distilled vinegar is a popular household cleanser, effective for killing most mold, bacteria, and germs, due to its level of acidity. Cleaning with white distilled vinegar is a smart way to avoid using harsh chemicals. You鈥檒l also be glad to know that it is environmentally friendly and very economical





Some carpet stains can be removed with a paste of 2 tablespoons white distilled vinegar and 1/4 cup salt or baking soda. Rub into the carpet stain and let dry. Vacuum up the residue the next day. (Always test on an out-of-sight part of the carpet first).How do I remove spilled vegetable oil from my carpet on the cheap?
Vinegar won't help with oil, although it is good for other organic stains such as pet messes and wine. What cuts through oil and grease? Soap! As the spot must be dry by now, dampen with a wet sponge. Then apply a generous amount (couple teaspoons) of dishsoap onto the sponge and rub in all over the spot, working up as much suds and lather as you can. You want a lot of suds, as this will emulsify the oil. Then, sprinkle the whole area generously with corn starch and brush it into the carpet. This will absorb the wet sudsy oily stuff that you have worked to the top. Allow to dry and vacuum up. You may have to repeat the process.
Try mixing hot hot water with vinegar. maybe a gallon of water to a cup of vinegar. get a bristley brush, something maybe you'd scrub a tile floor with and really get in there and scrub with the vinegar water. my dog made some messes when she was a pup and you can't tell anywhere because my grandmother told me about the vinegar thing. Try it!
more soap and water, do it a couple times... once will not fix the trick! good luck to you! You can also try washing detergent.... thats a good trick too...
Check out this site, they have professional quality stain removal techniques using just a few common household items. I would suggest doing the process and then repeating after rinsing the stain with cool water. Best of luck!
Try dabbing it with washing up liquid on a sponge.

No comments:

Post a Comment