Thursday, January 7, 2010

When baking, you use vegetable oil. How does it differ from using olive oil instead?

Olive oil has a stronger flavor. That's why we use the other stuff.When baking, you use vegetable oil. How does it differ from using olive oil instead?
For baking purposes, like cakes I use canola oil cause it doesn't add any odd flavors to my cakes, etc. For bread baking, I usually use olive oil. The difference with using olive oil, especially extra virgin, is that it has a strong flavor that you'll taste in your baked cakes. I want a cake that tastes like vanilla, chocolate or whatever flavor it's supposed to be, and not offset with the taste of olive oil. It's the same with cooking - do I want the flavor or not? Am I frying or not? Olive oil burns at a lower point than canola oil, which burns at a lower point than peanut oil.When baking, you use vegetable oil. How does it differ from using olive oil instead?
Well i prefer using olive oil because it is healthier and it tatse better!
depends on what you are baking with it. I would use olive oil for savory dishes and a light veg oil for sweet things like cakes.





olive oil is a bit heavy and fruity (olive tasting).. not something you want in a lovely white cake. it has a low smoke point as well so you can't deep fry with it. it will smoke and catch on fire at high enough temps. even pan frying and sauteing you have to be careful not to burn it..yucky!





olive oil is great though for roasting. one of my faves is to drizzle olive oil on to asparagus and toss to coat, then sprinkle on fresh finely minced garlic.. roast until tender. I am hungry just thinking about it! then there are wonderful grade olive oils that I would not recommend cooking with at all but use to dip good crusty bread in..yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment