Thursday, January 7, 2010

What do I need to do and know to open a waste vegetable oil recycling business in Florida?

I am currently making biodiesel and would like to expand to include grease removal as a business. I know I need some pumps, tanks, and the proper vehicle such as a flatbed truck. What else would I need and more importantly, what do I need to know about oil recycling. Additionally, where can I find the information neccessary to be legal in Florida?What do I need to do and know to open a waste vegetable oil recycling business in Florida?
You should definitely check with the Florida Department of Environmental Protection. They can guide you through the permitting process for creating an ';active'; facility. Also, they sponsor a low interest recycling loan program. If I remember correctly (and it may have changed..) the interest rate starts at the current prime rate and goes down based on your credit rating.





Florida is a very good state for looking at increasing recycling in (I know...I live there!). Regarding the business side of things, you need to check with the Deparment of Business and Professional Regulation about getting an ';official'; business created. You'll also need to check with your county for a permit as well.





In terms of getting material, you would best be served checking with the local restaurants and seeing what they are doing with their grease/oil now. If they are charging, you should look to see if you can charge less (and you should charge....garbage removal is a valid service that businesses should pay) but enough less to entice them to choose you over their current solution.





You should also check into the new energy bill that was signed by the President. Despite the negative publicity around it because it doesn't do much (and it really doesn't...) I believe it did re-fund certain programs through various Federal agencies (both grant %26amp; loan) that are focused on alternative fuels production/infrastructure.





Hope this helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment