Thursday, January 7, 2010

Can I substitute shortening with vegetable oil?

I know I could use butter but I just ran out and the store just closed.





If I can use veggie oil, at what ratio?Can I substitute shortening with vegetable oil?
No, oil is to thin to make icing it will be to loose. Can I substitute shortening with vegetable oil?
I don't think it would work unless the recipe calls for the shortening or butter to actually be MELTED - then it would be OK. but if it's just supposed to be softened, then the oil will not work.





Maybe you can find a cooked icing recipe to use instead, then the veggie oil would work. You would want to flavor that icing with extract or something, though, because normally you use butter for flavor %26amp; veggie oil is pretty flavorless.

No comments:

Post a Comment