Thursday, January 7, 2010

Can I use crisco shortening as substitute for vegetable oil?

I do not have vegetable oil in the house but I have olive oil and crisco all vegetable shortening.Can I use crisco shortening as substitute for vegetable oil?
You can but crisco has more saturated fat and possibly trans fat(unless it says otherwise on the label) which is bad for your heart.Can I use crisco shortening as substitute for vegetable oil?
yeah, but crisco is gross. Its like pure fat.
Depends on what the application is......frying, baking, sauteing, etc......If you need it for say, frying, say, potatoes and onions, sure you can.....if you need it for baking, sure, just sub out the butter/margarine called for and use the Crisco....for sauteing say onion, garlic, celery and carrots to say go into a soup/stew, use the olive oil.....Enjoy!!!!





Christopher
Yep!
Sure, if you want to incur god's wrath
As a last resort but shortening is really bad for you If this is a cake use the olive oil
Yes
Yes, you can. Simply melt the shortening prior to measuring for your recipe. A glass cup with spout is ideal and it takes about 50 seconds in a microwave on 100% power to melt 1/2 C..
my wife uses it all the time.personally i like it better.
I used Crisco when I had no liquid oil and made popcorn. It worked beautifully.
Best is to use the olive oil and throw away all the shortening and vegetable oils if they are not cold pressed because they contain partially dehydrogenated oil which cause healh problems such as headache, hormone issues, cardiovascular problems,etc...
I agree with bobi, I do it all the time.
yes if you are just going to fry some thing in a plan you can use the shorting.
It works great as a substitute for KY,


so why not?
to grease a pan...yes


to use in a recipe...no

No comments:

Post a Comment